If you haven't already done so, "Like" GRKids.com on Facebook or join their newsletter list to stay in the loop on ArtPrize and so much more. Many of the tips below were outlined by real moms and dads sharing their ArtPrize experiences and recommendations to ensure that all members of the family enjoy this annual event. Additionally, GRKids.com shares other seasonal ideas & family-friendly events. AppleTree & Gilden Woods Early Care and Preschool is a proud partner and sponsor of GRKids.com.
ArtPrize 2015 runs from Wednesday, September 23 to Sunday, October 11.
GRKids' 2015 Field Trip and Stroller Routes Guide This list avoids venues with a lot of stairs or venues with long lines to make the most of your time with small children and avoid stroller issues (they do not recommend wagons). Venues included on this list are mostly outdoors with lots of space to make it accessible to larger groups (and easier to explore with a stroller). If you follow the route outlined by GRKids, they estimate that it will take you and your children 90 minutes. Modify the route by cutting off portions that are not of interest or extend the route by adding additional venues or spending more time at interactive exhibits.
Visit GRKids.com to get a printer-friendly version of the following:
- Field Trip & Stroller 90 Minute Walking Map
- Field Trip & Stroller Walk Exhibit Descriptions
- Map for Families
- Mega Tour Stops & Art Descriptions
- Safari Scavenger Hunt
- Interactive Exhibits List
- Know where public restrooms are and plan accordingly. There are restrooms in Ah-Nab-Awen park, DeVos Place, and participating hotels.
- Consider how late the venues you are interested in visiting are open. Most are open until 8:00 pm Monday - Thursday, 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday, and 6:00 pm on Sunday.
- Dress in layers and choose comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Bring snacks and drinks.
- Download the Kids' ArtPrize Tour onto your smartphone ahead of time.
For more insider tips, visit GRKids.com's Insider Tips on Doing ArtPrize with Kids from Veteran Moms and Dads.
A huge THANK YOU to GRKids.com for providing such amazing tips and resources.
2015 Stroller & Field Trip Map Locations include: Ah-Nab-Awen, GR Ford Museum, GR Public Museum, Holiday Inn, Burger King, under the highway, JW Marriott, Amway Grand, PNC Bank, Fifth Third Bank, Calder Plaza, DeVos Place, and Gillette Bridge.
2015 Exhibits include: Bunny sculptures wearing nightgowns, swan wings with fiber optic lights that open and close, #whatliftsyou wings, an interactive audio-visual experience of watching a forest grow, a 28' tall earth replica with a light show inside, and a T-Rex shadow.