One of the topics our K-Prep preschoolers are exploring in the month of July is bike safety! Safekids.org provides this great list of tips to keep you and your family safe while enjoying a bike ride:
- Wear a properly-fitted helmet. It is the best way to prevent head injuries and death.
- Ride on the sidewalk when you can. If not, ride in the same direction as traffic as far on the right-hand side as possible.
- Use hand signals and follow the rules of the road. Be predictable by making sure you ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between cars.
- Wear bright colors and use lights, especially when riding at night and in the morning. Reflectors on your clothes and bike will help you be seen.
- Ride with your children. Stick together until you are comfortable that your kids are ready to ride on their own.
Riding bikes with your family is a great way to exercise and spend time together. Use these tips to stay safe and have fun this summer!